Check out this week’s Works for me Wednesday links!
It is out of necessity that I have to find alternatives to PB&J and this is just a short list of what works for us. If you have a child in a peanut-free school or a friend with a peanut allergy or if you just need something new for your child’s lunch, check out the following list:
1. Cream cheese & jelly sandwich. – At first this sounded gross but it is an excellent alternative. We like ours with strawberry jam.
2. Quesadilla’s – We make this Mexican standby a little healthier by using whole wheat tortillas. Once cut into triangles they are a portable lunch.
3. Ham & Cheese rollups – Take deli-sliced ham and a piece of American cheese and roll up. This is my son’s favorite but he doesn’t have it every day.
4. Cereal – Who said cereal is only for breakfast? While this isn’t very portable, it’s a healthy at-home lunch alternative.
5. Cream Cheese Bagel – Another favorite in our house. Yes, we use a lot of cream cheese. Lender’s Bagels just came out with a new whole wheat bagel. If your child likes the cinnamon bagels, you could use the whole wheat and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of the cream cheese.
I am always trying to come up with lunches for my son. If you have any other suggestions, something that works for your kids, please let me know! 🙂