Now that the school situation is figured out, we are moving on to bigger and better things for Alex. Up until now we have solely relied on our pediatricians for peanut allergy information. I have decided to take Alex to an actual allergist. We need to figure out what we can do to keep him more safe and to see if there are any trials he can participate in. A lot of trials seem to want candidates who have actually gone through anaphylaxis. Thankfully Alex has not but it also makes him a less likely candidate.
The trials we are most interested in are the ones where the patient ingests small amounts of peanut protein on a daily basis until they are ingesting the equivalent of several (like 13) peanuts. The plan here is not to make the patient no longer allergic to peanuts, it is to avoid the cross contamination issues we face on a daily basis. We wouldn’t have to worry that the chocolate chip cookie he ate was made on the same line as the Nutter Butters or that the ice cream he had wasn’t made in the same machine as a peanut containing ice cream. Anything we can do to make Alex’s world a little safer is what we want to do, as any parent would.
Now, the problem with all of this is that the allergist doesn’t have an appointment until December 30! Literally the end of the year. We’re on a cancellation list but even that is long. We’ll see. Hopefully, fingers crossed we will get in earlier.